This Chardonnay is made in a traditional full-bodied style. It is multifaceted and has been given the full treatment in the winery – 15% new French oak, malolactic fermentation, lees stirring for 12 months (6 months for early release portion) and full solids ferment. We aim to cram this wine full of flavour whilst maintaining balance and freshness.
The 2021 vintage Chardonnay was made with our later/riper picks of fruit, with a higher pressings & phenolic proportion. It is approachable in its youth and pairs beautifully with food.
1707 in stock
Pale yellow in colour with green highlights
Nose: In the melon & white nectarine zone. There are citrus florals there with sesame seeds, hazelnut and nougat. An underlying hint of toasted white bread!
Palate: The palate explodes in the front of your mouth first. Bright grapefruit, melon and nectarine fruits. It’s elegant and light on the palate, but with layers of savoury complexity from lees stirring – oatmeal and sunflower seeds. Soft malo creaminess rounds any sharp edges and adds a richness and glycerol mouthfeel. A hint of structural oak keeps it together and persists in the mouth afterwards.
– Fruit from 3 different sites ranging from 870-950m above sea level
– 3 separate picks starting late Feb 2021 to mid March 2021
– Handpicked into 10kg baskets
– Chilled overnight, lightly pressed. Free run & pressings separated
– Racked to barrels on full solids
– Wild yeast ferment in 225L barriques. 15% new French oak
– Full natural malolactic fermentation
– Lees stirred monthly for 12 months (6 months for early release portion)
– Racked & blended Oct 2021 into stainless steel tank
– Half the wine then returned to barrel for further elevage
– Early bottling portion settled in tank, no fining or additions.
– Racked & lightly filtered pre-bottling October 2021
– Remaining wine to be blended Feb 2022, and settled in tank for another Winter before bottling in the Spring.