Colour: Deep ruby red with purple hues.
Nose: Black forest fruits greet you first before a whiff of spice and black pepper. Oak adds a caramel/cedary sweetness and there’s a nougat hint. Fruit of the forest ice-cream!
Palate: Dark fruits meet elegance. The palate coats the entirety of your mouth with a compote of blackberry, blueberry and black pepper. Tannins are supportive but silken, creating a mesh over your tongue, holding the wine together. It’s textured & chewy yet light & elegant. A savoury, slightly charry finish lingers & hints at what will develop with years to come.
101 in stock
In 2017 we began managing the “Amboseli” vineyard. A 25-year-old small plot of 700 vines of drygrown Shiraz.
The vines are at 900m above sea level on the outskirts of Orange. This began our long journey of resurrecting and transforming the vineyard – lowering the cordons, much lower cropping of fruit and intensive canopy management. 2019 is our 2nd vintage. We treat this wine very gently in the winery, much like Pinot Noir, seeking elegance and reflection of the site.
• Handpicked into 10kg baskets
• Refrigerated overnight then destemmed into 1T open fermenters
• 30% whole bunches in ferment
• 20% carbonic maceration component
• Plunged 2 x daily until dry.
• Wild yeast fermentation, no additions
• Post-ferment soak for 6 days
• Press to barriques. 40% new French oak
• 12 months maturation with natural malolactic fermentation
• Sulphured then elevage in tank for 2nd Winter
• Bottled in Spring 2020 with no fining or filtration.