Our Black Label Chardonnay is only made in exceptional vintages, utilising the best fruit of the vintage to create an elegant wine that is fine-boned, subtle and restrained. It is made to be delicate and pretty, held by a persistent spine of acid in its youth. Whilst approachable young, it should slowly unravel with time to reveal even greater depth and complexity.
The 2019 growing season was warm and relatively dry, resulting in a reduced crop of grapes with small berry size and intense fruit flavour. We started picking a fraction earlier than “normal” in near-perfect conditions – with lovely warm days and cool nights. Quality was extremely high across all vineyards and varieties. This Chardonnay is the best 3 barrels of the 2019 vintage. Barrels were selected to maintain acid drive & an extra bit of finesse compared to the 2019 (Blue label) Chardonnay.
832 in stock
On the nose there’s jasmine & peach with some creamed honey on toast. A hint of gun smoke. Kaffir limes pokes through occasionally as does a whiff of fennel.
The palate is taught, fine & intricately layered with stone fruit & toasted brioche. Texture is key – it is in abundance, all grainy, chewy & savoury. There’s almost a salty character, like a soft brine in shellfish. It’s ever evolving & revealing new flavours with each sip.
– Fruit from 2 different sites ranging from 870-950m above sea level
– 3 separate picks starting late Feb 2019 to mid March 2019
– Handpicked into 10kg baskets
– Chilled overnight, lightly pressed. Free run & pressings separated
– Racked to barrels on full solids
– Wild yeast ferment in 225L barriques.
– Full natural malolactic fermentation
– Lees stirred monthly for 11 months
– Racked & blended March 2020 into stainless steel tank
– Settled in tank for 2nd Winter
– Racked & lightly filtered pre-bottling September 2020